Updated: Oct 17, 2022
• 1 Poblano Chili
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup AP flour
• ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese
• ½ cup oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Roast chili over flame on your stovetop burner or a broiler until all sides of the pepper are charred. Place in bowl and cover with saran wrap for 15 minutes.
2. Separate 2 eggs. Place yolks in 1 bowl and whites in another. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Then add the yolks and whip together. Set aside.
3. Remove chili from bowl and gently remove charred skin. Discard skin and slit the pepper lengthwise, but not through, and remove seeds to make a pocket in the pepper.
4. Place the cheese in the pepper pocket and close, seal with toothpicks.
5. Roll the pepper in the flour, then place in the egg mixture and cover pepper completely with the egg mixture until well coated.
6. Fry the pepper in hot oil (350 degrees) until all sides are a golden color. Remove pepper from pan and set aside on paper towel.
7. Use the 2 remaining eggs to make an omelet. Place the pepper in the omelet and fold onto a plate. Cover with more cheese if desired. Microwave to ensure that all the cheese is melted.
Serve with rice and beans or hash browns and toast. Makes 1 omelet