Updated: Sep 4
· 1 cup diced potato
· ¼ cup water
· 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
· ½ cup diced onion
· ½ cup diced tomato
· ½ cup sliced scallions
· ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
· 1 clove chopped garlic
· 8 ounces spicy chorizo
· 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
· 2 refrigerator pie crusts
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and water. Cover and cook until water is almost evaporated and the potatoes start to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the oil and the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add tomatoes and scallions and cook for another 3 minutes. Add cilantro and garlic and stir until fragrant.
3. Push the vegetables to the sides of the pan and add the chorizo to the center of the pan. Crumble with a spoon and cook until browned. Stir the vegetables and the chorizo together and add the vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring until the liquid is evaporated.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough into 12” circles. Using something like a plastic glass, cut out 3 “diameter circles and roll them into 4” diameter.
5. Place an 1/8 of a cup of the filling into each circle.
6. Fold and crimp the edges of each filled empanada.
7. Place the empanadas on a greased baking tray, be sure to spray the top of each empanada with cooking spray.
8. Bake the empanadas, flipping once halfway through, for about 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
9. Serve with salsa or hot sauce