Cream of mushroom soup
· ¾ cup butter
· 1 small onion-diced
· 1 Tablespoon fresh minced garlic
· 1 pound sliced white mushrooms
· 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
· ½ cup sweet Marsala wine
· ½ cup flour
· 4 cups chicken broth
· 1 cup heavy cream
· Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onions, cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
2. Add the garlic and thyme, stir well to perfume the aromatics, and then add the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until they release their liquid and reduce and become soft.
3. Turn the heat up to medium high, and stir in the Marsala, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Lower the heat back to medium, and then add the flour to the mushroom mixture to form a roux. Continue to cook until the roux doesn’t stick to the pan.
5. Add the chicken stock and bring to a slow boil as you gently stir during the process, blending in the roux and being careful to not let it burn.
6. When the soup has thickened, turn the heat down, add the heavy cream and stir well. Simmer for 10 minutes.