Mushroom and Onion Flatbread Pizza
For the Flatbread
· 1 ¼ cups lukewarm water (105)
· 2 ½ teaspoons dry active yeast
· 1 Tablespoon sugar
· ¾ cups plain yogurt
· 2 Tablespoons olive oil
· 1 Tablespoon salt
· ½ Tablespoon whole rosemary leaves
· 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion
· 1 teaspoon dehydrated garlic
· 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
· ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
· ½ cup more olive oil for brushing
1. In a large mixing bowl mix together the water, yeast, and sugar, set aside for 10 minutes until foamy. Whisk in the yogurt, first olive oil, salt, garlic, onions, and rosemary.
2. Add flour and parsley and stir everything together with a wooden spoon until dough comes together.
3. Sprinkle a generous amount of flour over your kitchen workstation or counter and set the dough onto the floured surface. Turn the dough to cover it with flour and knead for 4 or 5 minutes. Sprinkle more flour on the dough if the dough is still sticky.
4. With a pastry knife, cut the dough into 10 equal pieces and form each piece into small a small ball. Lightly sprinkle each dough ball with flour, cover with a kitchen towel and let stand for 15 minutes.
5. Preheat a frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Use a rolling pin to roll out each dough ball into a 7-inch circles. Lightly brush each top of the formed dough with olive oil.
6. Fry each piece of rolled out dough in the frying pan, oiled side down, for about 1 ½ minutes, or until the top is full of bubbles. Brush that side with olive oil and flip, cooking for 1 more minute. Flatbread should be golden brown. Remove from pan, transfer to a plate, and continue cooking the rest.
7. Keep the flatbread covered with a clean kitchen towel while cooking the rest.
For the Caramelized Mushrooms and Onions
· 1 large onion
· ¼ cup olive oil
· 4 cups mixed mushrooms
· 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
· 6 sprigs fresh thyme
· 3 large garlic cloves minced
· 3 Tablespoons sherry wine
· Salt and pepper as need throughout the recipe
1. Pre-heat oven to 425
2. Julienne the onion and add into a sauté pan, along with the thyme sprigs and olive oil over low heat. Sauté for 30 minutes or until you get a lightly brown color. Fish out the thyme sprigs at this point, turn the heat to medium, and add the minced garlic and sliced mushrooms, and sauté for another 5 minutes.
3. Turn the heat to high, add the sherry, and let simmer for about 5 more minutes before removing from the heat.
4. Place 4 of the flatbread onto a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, a modest amount of salt and pepper and place in the preheated oven for 8 minutes or until it gets crispy.
5. Remove from oven and spread the mushroom mixture evenly over the top. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and gooey.
6. Remove from the oven and cut the flatbread into strips or triangles and enjoy!