Updated: 4 days ago
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 cup finely chopped onion
• 2 ½ cups (10 ounces, about 1 medium) finely diced sweet potato
• 1 tablespoon minced ginger
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
• 1 tablespoon curry powder
• 1 cup red lentils
• 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
• Salt and pepper
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil, and sauté onion until softened. Add sweet potato, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add minced ginger and garlic; stir and reduce heat to low.
2. Next add the pepper flakes, and curry powder. Stir until well coated with oil. Add lentils and tomatoes and 4 cups water. Raise heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat until mixture is at a fast simmer. Cook uncovered until lentils and potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and continue to simmer until mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes. If dal is too soupy, increase heat and cook for a little longer.
4. To serve, place dal in a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped spinach and yogurt.. Serve hot.