Updated: Oct 17, 2022
Senegalese Chicken Yassa
• 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs-cut up
• 3 onions peeled and julienned
• 3 Habanero peppers
• ½ cup lemon juice
• ¼ cup vegetable oil
• 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 3 teaspoons minced garlic
• 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 ½ cup chicken broth
• Salt and pepper
1. Combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic and Dijon mustard in a bowl and mix well to make the marinade.
2. Add the cut-up chicken thighs into a gallon zip lock bag, and cover with the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3. In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, add the second amount of vegetable oil and brown the marinated chicken on both sides, all the while seasoning with salt and pepper.
4. Remove the chicken after browning and set aside on a plate.
5. Add the onions to the stock pot along with the 3 habaneros, add the remaining marinade, and sauté everything until the onions are caramelized.
6. Place the browned chicken back into the pot, and add the chicken broth, bring the heat up to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover the pot with a lid and cook for 30 minutes.
7. When the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, it is finished.
8. Serve with rice. Servings: 6