PORTOBELLOS WITH MARSALA SAUCE
· ¼ cup all-purpose flour
· 2 large eggs
· ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
· ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
· 4 Portobello mushroom caps
· 6 tablespoon olive oil-divided
· 2 shallots-sliced
· 1 teaspoon thyme
· ½ cup chicken broth
· ½ cup Marsala wine
· ¼ cup sour cream-room temperature
· Salt and pepper as needed
1. Remove the gills from the mushrooms and be sure they are free of any dirt or debris, dry and set aside
2. Slice the shallots crosswise, set aside.
3. Set up dredging station with the flour, beaten eggs and panko breadcrumbs/parmesan cheese
4. Carefully take each mushroom and dip into the flour, then the egg wash, ten into the breadcrumb cheese mixture. Shake off any excess through out this process. Place the finished mushrooms on a plate.
5. Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a sauté pan on medium high heat and cook the mushrooms on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
6. Add the remaining oil, and add the shallots, salt and pepper, and thyme and cook until slightly brown-about 3 minutes.
7. Stir in wine and broth to deglaze the pan, scraping any browned bits and incorporating them into the sauce
8. Reduce heat to medium and continue to simmer the sauce until it is slightly reduced. About 5 minutes.
9. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream
10. Serve the mushrooms topped with the sauce and garnish with more thyme, Parmesan cheese or fresh parsley
1 cap per serving